Sunday, October 25, 2009

In Which I Ponder Annoyance

I've been thinking about the comments that I got to my post yesterday about telemarketing calls, and frankly, I don't think I am wrong.

While I appreciate what Jeanne said, and fully understand that telemarketers are just trying to support themselves, when you take a job that by its very nature annoys the customer (me on the other end on the line), you should expect them to be annoyed!

For the record, I was not rude to the sweet, determined young thing on the other end. I informed her that we are on the DNC list. In my mind, the only appropriate response to that comment is "I'm sorry, I'll make a note of that," or something along those lines. Arguing that "I'm allowed" is not only princess-like (and not the Disney variety) but annoying.

So. Don't. Call. Me!

Labels:


Comments:
I'm with you 100% on this one!

Another story: back when I was younger and had the patience for it, I would let the telemarketer do his/her spiel all the way through (this in rapid-fire Hebrew, you understand) and when they finished I would say in as heavily accented Hebrew as I could manage (usually people can't tell where I'm from), "I don't understand." Then they'd start all over again. Finally I would say "No thank you" and hang up.
:-p
 
that's why i refuse to do outbound telemarketing. i am a phone jockey, but have only done inbound. and i'm a huge stickler for customer service, lol. will compliment a good agent, and will definitely complain about a bad one
 
{sigh}

I wish I had the choice. But after eight months of searching and applying to every single job possibility within a one-hour commute of my home, when the temp agency called and said I had the job doing phone surveys 22 hours per week for a measly $7.30, I took it. There just aren't any jobs in my area, and I can't afford to be choosy.

Never mind that graphic design degree, the years of experience, and that I am far smarter than 90% of the people I'm forced to phone.

This job is the difference between eating and not. Those of you who never have to do a job like this, you have no idea how blessed you are. It's making me far more sympathetic being on the calling end, and the next time I get a call coming to my phone, I'll be a lot nicer than I used to be.

If I still have any voice left to speak with after this. I'm getting hoarse, and it could well destroy my singing voice.

You all can do me a favor and pray I have the winning MegaMillions ticket for tomorrow's drawing. Then maybe I can get out of this hellhole and stop annoying the masses for pin money.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random