Saturday, May 03, 2008

A little Silk Garden





I started a scarf with Noro Silk Garden (colors 72 and 245, if anyone cares). Followed the instructions that I found on Brooklyn Tweed's blog. Followed it to the letter except that I used two balls of each color (Jared also used 4 balls total, but two of one color, one each of 2 others) .

I cast on 39 stitches and ribbed 1X1 until my eyes crossed and my ears were bleeding and I ran completely out of one of the colors.

I was left with 11 grams (of 200 I started with) and a scarf that is a hair under 6" X 90", looks like stockinette, and doesn't roll.





Allow me, please, to critique the Noro. The color changes are what kept me from poking myself right on through the eyeball with the business end of my size 7 circular needle.

The 18 ends I wove in (yes, 10 more than I would have had if the skeins had been sans knots) tell me that there was a bit of a problem with the yarn. I understand the issue of knots. Truly, I do. But seriously, dudes, this is not cheap yarn. There isn't a whole lot of yardage. (I figure I knat up 400 yards or thereabouts) and to encounter 5 knots along the way??

The 4 balls came from two different shops, perhaps 3000 miles apart. It's not like there was a Grand Knot Conspiracy brewing!

Or maybe there was. Alert Homeland Insecurity!






Not a lot of Vegetatitve Material. Loverly, loverly colors ranging through the gray family and brown and several shades of green with just a touch of purple.

I think I might be in love.

I also think that I might be making several more of these in different colors.

After I finish all the Fair Knitting that I have stretching in front of me.

Christmas will come again this year. I have it on good authority.









Have a better look at some of the colors.

And the stitch pattern. I love the way the ribbing closes up to give the stockinette stitch appearance.













And as soon as the scarf was off my 7s, I cast on a pair of wrister for the Mittnz Challenge.

I can give a recipe for these, if you are interested in making your own.

1) Find a mitten pattern that you like (I used the Warm Woolies pattern; it's knit flat).

2) Get the proper yarn (LB Landscapes) and needles (10) and cast on.

3) Follow the pattern until you are past the thumb gusset increases.

4) Instead of completing the thumb, loosely bind off the thumb stitches (yes, right there in the middle of the row!) and finish knitting across.

5) When I purled back, I picked up one stitch in the area where the thumb isn't. You don't have to do this, but it will prevent a hole (maybe--since I didn't try it the other way, I don't know that there would have been a hole. Let's assume so, 'k?)

6) Knit a row or 2 plain (stockinette) then switch to ribbing (the same as on the cuff) until you are nearly out of half of the yarn (if you make both mitts at once, this won't be an issue, plus, there's no second mitt syndrome to deal with).

7) Bind off loosely in ribbing, weave in the ends.

8) All done. Or make another (see #6).

You're welcome.

Labels: ,


Comments:
Thanks for the pattern - it's great! And the scarf is very cool; love the shifts with the stripes and the look of the ribbing.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random