Sunday, October 07, 2007

Preliminary



As a teaser, thought folks might like to see the little vest I whipped up over the weekend.

This one is for Afghans For Afghans and is about a size 8 (30 inches around and 20 inches from shoulder to bottom). I started with a child's cropped summer top in Knitting With Bits and Pieces edited by Jeanne Stauffer (House of White Birches). The pattern was designed by Patty Leatherbury. Then I got wild and crazy!

I used my Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns (Interweave Press) by Ann Budd to determine actual measurements that would be approriate.

Ann calls a 30" a size 6-8 and suggests a finished length of 17.5".





Keeping in mind that Afghani children tend to be slim but not short, I added some length and a bit of a pattern from the November issue of Creative Knitting (bought on the stand--I let my subscription lapse). The chart is the one for arm snuggies. (WTF?)

I used Budd's armhole and shoulder shaping (but I used short rows and 3-needle bind off on the shoulders) and I used her v-neck shaping (interesting and a bit different than I'm accustomed to--at least as I interpreted her instructions--see blurry photo left).


So, I ask, who designed this vest?



And now, what you've all been waiting for! The wooly goodies that were shipped to Cheyenne River in September included 398 hats and 406 pairs of mittens!

Here are the Mittnz prizes. They were donated by loyal readers. I can remember only some of the donors' names.

I am feeling incredibly stupid and forgetful (while at the same time virtuous, because I actually cleared up the mess I made and threw away some of the wrapping they were mailed in::oops::). Janice and Cathy donated beautiful stitch markers, Mary, Marilyn, and Linda sent mascots and books and yarny goodness. And someone else ::insert blushing embarrassed face:: also contributed books and yummy yarn, and if you will email me [yet again] I will happily credit you here and apologize profusely and such. So, please identify yourself.

The winners of the Mittnz 2007 Challenge drawing (chosen at random by the Random Number Generator) are:

::drumroll::

Anami
Carol K
Chris M
Julie (wis)
Luannne
Nancy L
and Loretta!

Please email me (amcmanus@ptd.net) your addresses and I will pop your prize packages into the mail.

Thanks for playing!

Edited Monday to Add: Two other prize donors were Anami and Julie. And I really do thank you. I'm not usually so dense!

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random