Saturday, September 22, 2007

Welcome To Mom's Store


To explain why Bubby is having an encore appearance though I threatened to pitch his ugly little butt right after he was finished: I should be flattered (unless, of course, it's because my children are very, very cheap --apple falling close to the tree and all). Both of my kids have asked a very special favor in the past few days: an opportunity to shop at the Store of Mom.

You see, I keep "little things" on hand for quick gift-giving. I've done this for years, and in a way, I've enabled my two sons to accept last minute invitations to gift-giving occasions without batting an eye. Hmm, maybe I should encourage them to start their own Gift Closets.

But I digress. Older Son asked about a week or so ago if I had anything "on hand" (as if) that would fit a nine month old and a 2 year old (I sure hope he was right about those ages) who had suffered some pretty serious losses recently. Um, no. But I was able to cast on From The Top Sweaters for both of them (picture before I mail them off) and I'm pressing the finish line on them.

Then yesterday, I got a call on my cell from my land (?). The Younger Kid was at the house, wondering where the heck I was. He needed to shop at the Store of Mom, too. A friend's little girl was turning 1 and he was invited.

Rather than tell him where the stash is stored (there might be something there that will wend its way to his Christmas stocking, after all!) I told him I would call when I got home and he could shop then.

He picked Bubby. And the toddler mittnz I just finished (I'll be knitting up another pair!), and a couple of board books. No money changed hands.




Joan in Oregon sent me this picture of the 7 pairs of Mittnz she made for the Cheyenner River Reservation kids.

They are all sideways garter stitch and what a rainbow of colors.

Thanks, Joan!











And Julie kept on knitting after her first picture was published. She finished TEN pairs and joins the Overchievers R Us club!

There will be a whole bunch of kids with warm hands thanks to Julie and Joan!






While the Other Half was out doing yard work this morning, he encountered this little beauty.

It's about 18" long and my research says that it is a grass snake.

But I've sent a photo along to my snake-identifying cyber pal. I await her pronouncement on the species.



Movie Reviews: We hit the motherlode of depressing movies this weekend. Don't get me wrong. The stories were well-written and well-acted, but good lord! the themes!

Away From Her was Friday night's offering. Julie Christie is excellent as an Alzeimer's patient who has been committed to an assisted living facility by her husband. Very thought-provoking!

Saturday night, we watched Two Weeks. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't intentional that we (the Other Half) would rent back-to-back movies about such serious topics! Sally Fields plays a woman dying of [ovarian?] cancer, surrounded by her children and their stepfather. There are laughing out loud moments, but there is no way I would have labeled this a comedy!

Last weekend, we rented Snow Cake. If you liked Dustin Hoffman in Rainman, all I can say is that Sigourney Weaver is even better in her role as a high-functioning autistic woman whose daughter is killed in an accident. I'm not saying anything that isn't in the previews. So there! Rent it!

Labels: , ,


Comments:
I am so wanting to see Snow Cake. I'm a big Alan Rinkman fan. I've got to remember to ask my mom to pick it up for me. She has the membership at Blockbusters so can rent as many movies as she wants each month.

I tell ya I wish my mom had a gift closet. More often than not she is hitting me up for some baby item or another. She doesn't get how slowly I tend to knit. hehe
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random