Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Is That Your Car?

Picking up entries after the fair (8 a.m. to 6 p.m.--NO EXCEPTIONS) is always a zoo. It was made worse this year by an actual Zoo (in actuality, Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdon animated exhibit) and the trailers it came in on blocking all entrances and exits at that end of the Agri-Plex.

The usual entance gate was closed and padlocked and there was a maze of vendor vehicles. Annd the guy in the official Fairgrounds golfcart that parked perpendicular to the building (rather than parallel) to unload 3 pretzel boxes of WTF and stayed inside for 5 minutes didn't help at all.

The kicker though, was the woman with the "Happiness is being a grandparent" license plate on her POS station wagon who parked in the No Parking spot right by the main doors that provided the only exit from the maze that was the west side of the building. "There wasn't anywhere else to park," was her excuse. I know, I know. That's why I parked half a mile away and carried my stuff to the car.

Ah well. The seemy, steamy side of the fair. The set-up. The tear down.

My mittens turned up, kind of like Harry and the rest of the sock yarn after having their own adventure. Unfortunately, they will not be writing about that. They have a white (3rd place) ribbon attached.

I had a surreal encounter with B (the lady from last year who was sure that I am not who I say I am). B: "What are you going to do with those little socks?" Me: "Put them on my grandson's little feet." B: "No?!! And what about the mittens? Are those felted? Do people wear those?"

Good lord!

Then: B: "How many stitches did you start with [the socks]?" Me: "I don't know." B:"Oh, you're just like everyone else. Won't share."

So, is it any wonder that I damn near beat the granny in the green station wagon senseless while she slowly loaded up her ripple afghan (acrylic) and her framed puzzle?.




And Angela who lives in Ontario sent me this picture of the Mittnz she created. Aren't they wonderful? Look: double-thick (or extra long) cuffs to keep the wrists warm.

Thanks, Angela. You'll be entered in the prize draw.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random