Saturday, September 08, 2007

How I Spent My Saturday



Since the Other Half changed jobs, his Fridays belong to The Man. No more joining me for grocery shopping after work unless we wait until after 6. On a Friday. Yeh, me either!

So I've been hitting the supermarket for things like coffee and soft butter and plain ol' white bread and such right after work. It can be on my way home if I turn right and drive past the turkey farm and sneak up on it from the south.

Instead, we've been indulging in the Farmer's Market on Saturdays for The Rest-- produce, eggs, really good steaks and desserts--from the Amish bakery where you can buy whole, half, and quarter cakes and pies!

We didn't get anything at Mr. Bill's this week, only because I have some Perdue Selects (don't shoot me) that I want to use up. Mr. Bill always has samples of various chicken sausages. So far, the Other Half hasn't sampled.

This is the stand where we buy our produce. It's fresh and local and very good! It's one of at least 5 big produce stands.

This week, we got a head of garlic, a cantaloupe (local) and a peck of peaches (ditto) and a head of Romaine lettuce. From the pickle stand in the background (at the far end of the flags) I bought eggs (local and so very much better than the ones at the grocery store).

We got a couple of small steaks from one of the butchers (local), a half pound of white American cheese (Land o' Lakes--not local) from the cheese stand, a quarter of a triple chocolate cake from the Amish bakery, and two smoked pigs' ears for Belle at the pig farmer's butcher stand (he will sell you a whole--or half--pig all ready to go in your freezer, cut, packaged and flash frozen--he's local).

The farmers' market was closed for 2 weekends because of the fair. We mssed it!

Mittnz: Tracy asked where to find the sideways mittnz pattern. It's a pattern by Mariella that she developed for the Reservation. Easy and fun to knit. Check out her blog. There are more of her patterns linked in the sidebar.


Labels: ,


Comments:
Do I dare ask what you do with a smoked pigs ear?

Kudos to you for buying local.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random