Friday, December 09, 2005

Enough

The third (of many) scarves is finished. It's a lengthwise garter stitch in rainbow (Mexicana) Red Heart ack that was nearly a full skein. I used a bit of black for a center stripe (also Red Heart ack) because I feared I would run out of the rainbow. As luck would have it, there's a couple yards left, so I was right--there wasn't enough. A single full skein would have been sufficient, if I had only had one! But I'm not buying yarn right now.



You'll notice that there's an obvious change of yarn color, that doesn't factor in to anything except as I was balancing the stripes. You could use all one color, switch colors every row (or every other row), or do as I did, and make three fairly wide stripes. You could even be more subtle about the color change(s).

I used about 3 ounces of worsted weight yarn. Using a size 10 (US) circular needle (it's getting quite a workout, no?) cast on 142 stitches. Do not join. Knit every row (garter stitch) for 20 rows (10 ridges).

Next row, knit 36, bind off the next 16 stitches, knit to the end of the row.



Turn and knit back to the bound off section (90 stitches). Cast on 16 stitches. Use any cast on that will give a fairly firm edge. (I knitted that cast on, but I suppose an 'e' loop cast on would work too.) Knit to the end of the row.

Work another 20 rows of garter stitch.

Bind off loosely. Weave in any ends.

finished width=5"
finished length=42"
slot starts about 10" from the edge and is about 4" long.





Thread end through slot made by the bind off, cast on.

Now, if I didn't have Christmas projects to finish (and in some cases start and finish), I'd make a few more of these. It was about a 2-day project with other stuff intermingled. Perfect riding/TiVo watching stuff.










Some of us know how to spend a snow day better than others:

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random