Sunday, April 10, 2005

A Thin Line Between Love and Hate

I am this close :: puts index finger and thumb about a quarter inch apart:: to finishing the Grand Mitered Blankie:




I know it would look better photographed against the solid color livingroom rug, but that one is a very light color (white, in fact) which also shows of just how bad a housekeeper I am, so we will all have to live with the pattern!

The Recipe:

A note about this "recipe": Gauge is not critical! You can actually trust the "recommeded gauge" as stated on the ball band and not screw up too very badly. You can use any weight yarn you want to make a lighter or heavier blankie. You can use the size needles that make the fabric that satisfies you. You will need to have in mind, an approximate gauge (stitches per inch). If you aren't sure about this, go ahead and make a garter stitch swatch with the needles and yarn you plan to use and measure it!

To determine how many stitches (S) to cast on, multiply your gauge (G) by the finished size you want (F) by 2: S=GxFx2 (If you are feeling math impaired, use a calculator.)

Cast on S stitches, placing a marker between the center two stitches. Knit every row, decreasing (k 2 together) before and after the marker on every right side row until 2 stitches remain. Remove marker and k 2 together.

Fasten off if you are satisfied with the way the edge looks, or use an attached i-cord (cast on 3 stitches, *knit 2, slip 1, pick up a ridge bump and knit it, pass slipped stitch over, slip 3 stitches on right needle back to left needle* repeat forever or until you run out of ridge bumps) or any other edging that looks good to you.


What I did:

Yarn: Worsted weight big box acrylic (Caron, TLC, Pound of Love), about 25 ounces (or close to it--I had absolutely none of the "colors" left at the end).

Needles: I used size 7 (29" circular) and size 5 (2 double points, for the i-cord).

Gauge: 4 stitches/inch

Finished size: 40" square


I started with a cast on of 320 stitches, placed a markerbetween the 160th and 161st stitches and knit (and knit, and knit) every row (garter stitch), decreasing 2 stitches (one, either side of the marker) every right side row until I was down to 2 stitches. I changed colors at whim. There were 5 all together, a soft blue and a burgundy, bright yellow, lilac, and white. No color band is more than 5 ridges wide.

Now, I am finishing the edge with an applied i-cord






The square itself took exactly a week to execute. I did a lot of my knitting in the car and on the beach (it's mindless) and watching TV. I expect that the border will add another 4 days or so to the project. It takes a little more concentration (but not a lot).

The back:



is sort of interesting. The colors are softer.

I'm thinking that it might be time to drag out all my worsted weight wool oddballs and (finally) start a Surprise Jacket for myself. If I do, I think that I will make the color changes on the wrong side. I really like that effect.

Labels:


Comments:
It's a great stashbuster! Just make sure that all the yarns are similar in weight (the yellow and the lilac on mine are slightly heavier, but not much than the other colors) and all need the same care (machine wash and dry in this case).
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random