Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Odds and Ends

A call for additional warm woolies (especially sweaters for 7-16 year olds) from A4A prompted me to dig into my wool odd ball bin for some coordinating yarns.

What I found was some well-aged Patons Classic Wool in Evergreen, Navy, and Burgundy, and some slightly less-aged Rich Red.

I teamed those up with some Lily Sugar and Cream 100% wool (talk about well-aged!) in Dark Green, and some Panda Woolbale, also navy.


Next, I dragged out Ann Budd's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns and checked to see how big I could make my sweater with the yarn on hand (30", it turns out, so somewhere about a kid's size 10-12 depending on ease).

Then, I cast on. And you can see where I am going with random stripes on the body. (Click on the picture to make it bigger.) I'm almost ready to bind off the underarms and start the sleeves.


Okay, confession: I started one sleeve and finished the cuff (car knitting) but I still have about 12" of tube to knit and another to make before I join everything and I still need to decide: round yoke or raglan. . .

Here's how I am creating the pattern: using random numbers of rounds of each color, I purl the round when changing colors. I like the purl bump change over. The texture is neat! The only side issue is, well, the side. I haven't figured out a good way to do a jogless jog at the color changes when the stitch is p, not k.

We are experiencing a snow day (or rather an ice day) here in eastern Pennsylvania. The Other Half ventured out to drive to work. I am sitting and knitting because we have a 2 hour delay at my work. It's pretty nasty out there.

Have I ever mentioned how much I despise winter?

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random