Saturday, October 13, 2007

Looking For My Happy Place

Sparky has been helping with the accessorization of my darker yarns. Nothing like a little white cat hair to jazz up plain black wool!

And we've both been looking for a Happy Place. She seems to have found hers in my closet. By pushing all of my shoes out of the way.

I wonder if there's enough room in there for me to join her.



It's been a rough week here in Lake Wobegon. Work has sucked the living soul from me, as we are missing a key person, and though others have offered to step up, there are some things that would take so much explanation that it's easier just to do them myself. And so I have.

But I am tired.

Thankfully, it's only one more week.



One of my coworkers has a friend who is undergoing chemo and has lost her hair and it's getting cold here in the Northeast, folks (though following on the heels of recordbreaking high temperatures, it was something of a surprise)!

He asked if I could/would make a cap for his friend.



Thinking soft, thinking washable, I stash-dove and came up first with some Fun Fur Stripes (in the South Beach colorway--long stretches of turquoise, lime, and pink) that made up quickly on size 10.5s.

It was acceptable. Soft, warm, a little funky.

Then I found this skein (or 3) of Lion Color Waves. The color is called Sunset Red. The pattern is on the label.

This stuff is positively vile to knit. It's bouclé. It's acrylic. It sticks to bamboo, nylon, and Addis. But it makes a lovely fabric! It's soft, it's warm, and it's a bit funky.

I handed off the remaining 2.5 skeins to someone else to make a matching scarf (or not) and threw in the skein of Pebble Beach colorway for good measure. I am happy to be rid of it!


I've done some other soul-sucking knitting (also for a good cause) this week. The Ship Support call is out for warm wool garments for troops stationed in Afghanistan.

I attempted a gaiter (tube scarf) with really bad results, so I frogged it and made the seaman scarf pictured on the left instead. It's the classic pattern, suggested by the Seamen's Church Institute, and though I was tempted to embellish, the best I could bring myself to was a slipped stitch edge.

After all, it's about the recipient, not me!

Yarn: well-aged Brown Sheep NatureSpun in Pepper.




And I'll be casting on this adorable bunting (Vogue KOTG Baby Knits) with the Brown Sheep Lambs Pride Superwash Bulky shown as soon as I figure out how to restructure the sizing.

The pattern calls for a 28" chest for the 3 month size. The Other Half pronounced it "shaped like it would fit a starfish!" And though I have no doubt that McMunchkin will be a superstar, being the first 2-legged grand on either side of the family, I'm pretty sure that he's more likely to be longer than average, rather than wider!

The colder weather has brought out the urge to knit with wool, and so I will. While looking for my Happy Place.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
I'm so with you on that Colorwaves! YUCK to the Nth degree. I made a whole sweater with it, believe it or not. Which Liat immediately appropriated. The fabric is cozy and snuggly, but I haven't been able to bring myself to knit up the rest of the yarn.
 
I love your Seafarer's Scarf! I hope you will visit our Christmas at Sea blog:
http://blogs.seamenschurch.org

Thanks for knitting! Right now I am running a sock knitting contest. Knit a pair of socks for us and be entered into a contest for a skein of Socks that Rock.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random