Saturday, September 08, 2007

A Way To Sell More Yarn?


I'm making a tiny sweater. (Go on, act surprised.) The pattern (Bernat Baby 1200) that I bought from Elann.com offers several suggested yarns (all their brands, well, duh).

All of the selections call for at least up to 730 for the smallest size and at least up to 760 yards for the largest size (yes, really) or a range of 550-760 yards for the smallest size. You have to see this chart to understand.

Little kid knitting being what it is, I err on the side of caution (Knitting yarn is probably the only thing about which I am conservative!)

I have 3 balls of Plymouth Encore (600 yards), so rather than take a chance on running out, I cast on for the middle size --20" chest--so I figure about a 1 year old (my kids' baby records for chest size stop at 7 months).

I'm suspecting that what I am about to disclose would label me more to the liberal side, in my yarn estimations.

I've finished the back and this much of the front, and, dudes, I have a whole bunch of yarn still on the hoof! Like close to 500 of the original 600 yards!

I should have realized that if Trellis (cabled and cardigan) took only about 300, then something about 3" from Totally Plain wouldn't need a whole lot more, even in a bigger size.

Hats! Booties! Mittens! Here we come!

Next Project: I caught a Labor Day Sale at The Naked Sheep (go, look, come back, I'm not done talking typing--sale's over, but the everyday prices are good 'uns) and bought some Lamb's Pride Superwash Bulky (made in the USA) for a bunting for the upcoming Munchkin. There's one more color coming. Sorry Charla, Cornflower Blue is not to be found ::insert frownie face::

The folk(s) at Naked Sheep are nice to work with! They let me know right away that my second contrast color was out of stock and offered substitutes. The last ball is, I have been assured, on its way.


And After That: I'm going to cast on this (you can subscribe to Knitting Daily at the Interweave website and get great patterns for free!

I won't be using Kidsilk Haze ::insert frownie face:: but rather, Louet Mohair that I have stashed, because, well, you know that yarn diet? You know how I said that no yarn that was "planned" for a project" would be added to the spreadsheet? At least not until I had time to knit it up? Well, I'm coming down to the wire I set for myself and Will Be Blog-fessing This Weekend.

::hangs head:: I am so ashamed! (Not!)

Stay tuned.

Labels: ,


Comments:
I love blue! I love the Dolores card on your desk! I love-- wait, calm down, kat. Pretty little sweater!
 
Great colors - I especially like that navy. It's gorgeous! The little blue sweater looks pretty, too. How come you get so much more knitting done than I do? Good for you.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random