Saturday, September 15, 2007

The Demise of the Diet-Math Heavy Post, No Pictures

I just tallied up the "good" yarn I bought (with good intentions of knitting it all up) during my enforced Yarn Purchasing Slowdown (AKA Yarn diet). Now, mind you, I had projects in mind for all of this yarn.

I added some Encore (6 balls, leftover from 3 tiny sweaters and a blankie), some legitimate stashable yarn. Leftovers become stash once the project they were purchased for is complete.

(stay with me, please)

I added 4 BAGS (10 balls each) of On-line Linie 121, Summertime, 2 yellow (daffodil?), 1 deep red-orange (grenadine), 1 navy (midnight).

Nope, haven't broken into 3 of the bags, and except for the one ball that I swatched and machine washed and dryer dried to ensure wash and dryability, the 4th bag remains untouched as well. This stuff was going to be baby rompers and bubble suits and maybe a blankie. It was so cheap inexpensive that buying by the bag (of 10) rather than the ball (like 3 or so of a color) made a lot of sense at the time now.

I added some Lily Cotton Elite (3 balls) in a color called Mango that looked much better (or rather, much more appropriate) on the screen than in real life.

There was a bunch (40 balls total in 11 colors) of Filatura di Crosta 501 (superwash merino) that jumped right into my shopping cart at Elann (and put me over the top for my 3rd $50 credit) that will eventually be knat into sweaters for the upcoming munchkin, but for the moment remain totally untouched.

And I got the last whack of Lion Cotton Ease in the old bright colors: 7 balls of Cherry red that was destined to be a Wallaby sweater for the munchkin (do I detect a theme?) until I discovered that the munchkin-Mom is not at all fond of red (in the same way that I am not at all fond of pink).

That which I have not knit (pristine, unbroken skeins) is 92 95 balls!

(Isn't this how food diets generally go? I know it is for me!)

Of course, during that 9 months, I knit up (net) 12 3/4 pounds of stash (there was more, but it wasn't official stash). Put another way, 6.31 MILES of stash, representing 77 balls of yarn. And that's not counting the new yarn that I bought and knit! It also excludes some Red Heart that I am making into hats for Ship Support and two toddler sweaters that I am making at the request of the Older Kid for a coworker who lost a lot of stuff in a house fire last wekend. That will all be used up in the requisite 3 Months From Purchase.

Oh, and I added at least a half-dozen books and several Addi lace needles.

I would be hanging my head in shame if I weren't so damned proud!

You'll be able to see the official tally on the side-bar on October 5.

Labels: ,


Comments:
Does it count as stash if you, say, gave away the red stuff as a prize for something? :-)

Of course, there's always baby blankets for the reservation ... since mama doesn't like red ...
 
Just curious... since the fair is always such a rush, have you thought about making a seond of every type of project throughout the year for fair entries...? And would the red be good for Christmas-y things, like wreath and sweater/bootie/hat and mittens and scarf, etc.? and santa clauses?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random