Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Penultimate Day-Picture Heavy


Really cool wading bird--Little Blue Heron. We also saw Great Egrets, Great Blue Herons (like I have on the creek at work), Cattle Egrets, Snowy Egrets and a number of bay and marsh ducks.

Sighting of the day was a

Bald Eagle-- a first for both the Other Half and me.

I love adding to the life list!




There were ponies at this end of the island, too. And yes, they still pen and swim (and auction) the ponies in the summer as a fund raiser for the local volunteer fire company.














Here's the bridge that you take to get onto the southern end of
the island.

It's a drawbridge that swivels in the center rather than lifts in the middle.


We sat for a few minutes waiting for boats to glide by in both directions.













Bridge fully open and read for watercraft to pass.










Lightkeeper's House on Assateague.












For scale. (Not a very good "for scale" photo.) It's tall.

It was closed. (Everything was closed! Season doesn't start for a few more weeks.)
The good thing about going in the winter (I know, but it sure feels like it!) is that there aren't bugs.













On the way back to OC, we snapped a couple pictures of the NASA Wallops Flight Facility.







I'm guessing that they get really good TV reception!










Giant anchor salvaged from a shipwreck off the Maryland coast. The cannon in the background, ditto.

Today we walked to the beginning of the boardwalk, past the carnival crap and the very quiet amusement park rides to where the Lifesaving Museum is. It was closed.







Knitting continues: This is where I am on the mohair shawl. I like the progression of the colors.

It really is soft and cuddlesome. And I really am throwing a smokescreen to hide the lack of other knitting.

I cast on a baby bootie in salmon silky stuff (I think it's part cashmere) but the shape was too funky, so I frogged it.

I'm thinking that regular sockies would be a better use for this yummy stuff.

Labels: ,


Comments:
so awesome!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random