Sunday, April 22, 2007

It's Not Easy Being Green

Happy Earth Day!

No knitting pictures today, though there was knitting. (It was just dipsh*t knitting and besides, you've seen the WIPs before at least once.)

Here in the Northern Hemispere, it seems that spring has finally arrived. The grass is turning green and all of the trees are starting to get that first yellow glow that means leaves aren't far behind.




I'd love to wax philosophical about spring and Earth Day and my lord, is it really 36 years already?
I was a college student in 1970 (the very first Earth Day) and I have the button. No, really, there was a button (and probably a bumper sticker, too).
We were young and naive back then and were pretty sure that we could and would change the world.
Something got lost in our growing up, didn't it?




I took this quiz and discovered that, while I am "better than average" for my country (needing 18 acres to sustain my lifestyle where my country's average is 24 acres), there's not enough actual space on the planet for me and my kind. (It would take 3.9 planets to sustain us if everyone lived like I do. I'm going to work on making some changes.
Take the quiz. See where you stand, and vow to make some changes yourself.


Changes that I know I can make:
Eat more local food. Right now, I think I'm limited to eggs, potatoes, maybe apples. It takes some extra effort to seek out the farmer's market, but I'm going to try.
Drive less. Plan errands more carefully so that the car can stay in the garage one day a week. Again, not easy, but worth the effort.
Look to renewable resources. (This one's easy, she says with tongue planted firmly in cheek). No more plastic yarn. None! Well, maybe just a little. But not to be swayed by the glitz of the bright colors. Stick to the muted shades of wool, alpaca, cotton.
Who says it's not easy bein' green?

Labels:


Comments:
Wow. Thanks for the link to the quiz. I rated 15 acres, but it is sobering to think that if everyone lived the same way as I do, we would need 3.4 planets. Yikes.
 
Thanks for linking to the footprint site. I got an "18" too. I do well with public transportation but need to change my eating habits!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random