Friday, August 18, 2006

Three Time's the Charm

I swear that Blogger is toying with me. It takes three tries every single time to get photos to load. I can see where a less patient person might give up and not bother!





But I am a patient person (shut up!) and words alone will not convey the loveliness of the ammonia and copper water.

This is after 7 full days of steeping in (mostly) sunny days in the garden.

Isn't that a pretty color?

Well, I'm here to tell you that natural dyeing is not an exact science, and that Things You Do To The Wool can affect the final product.






I had a whack of vinegar in a bowl that I added to the soak water for my skein of white yarn. Don't ask why I dumped it in, 'cause I am clueless. (It seemed like a good idea at the time.)

I drained the soaked yarn. Then I put the yarn into the jar of ammonia water and pennies (see above) and waited 15 minutes.



Then, I dumped the newly dyed yarn (to the left) in warm water to which I had added a small amount of alum and cream of tartar.

My blue-gray yarn (left) turned a lovely sorta-celery color (below).

I'll take it! I think it will be lovely with the marigold and birch-dyed yarns from previous experimentation.

Mittens and hat. Stranded pattern.

Yummy!





Here's the post-mordant, post-rinse yarn, hanging to dry. It's the color of old weathered copper (think Statue of Liberty), but pale.

I think I really like this color and I think that I may dye some other of my natural wools with the dye bath that remains.

And now for a little secret about the sheep gang:

While I was stitching on ears, I discovered that the tails I had already stitched were, indeed, ears, not tails, and so, all six have ears on their butts, 3 have ears where their ears belong, and the other 3 have 2 tails (ponytails? pigtails?) on their heads.

I don't think that anyone is likely to notice. These body parts are about 3/8" square.


Don't tell!
Comments:
I am firm in my resolve to not get involved in dyeing - but your penny experiment has me very tempted. I love the light green you came out with, it's beautiful. And I think your little sheep are adorable, no matter where their ears are.
 
Ann -

You are making my co-workers look a me strangely (be quiet!) since I am here cracking up about sheep with ears on their butts!
 
I've heard of talking out of your butt, but hearing out of it? Hmmm.

Blogger wouldn't post pictures for me at all for a few days and I think my one feed is no more. Grrr.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random