Sunday, August 13, 2006

Saving Me from Myself

Last night I wandered over to Smiley's for a little Windows shopping. Oh, hell, lt's be honest. I do this at least once a day, sometimes more.

Right now, they have Lion CottonEase in 7 colors that I've been drooling over for a couple of weeks. I really want some for charity knitting.


It would be perfect for baby sweaters for the reservation-in this pattern . I like the pattern so much that I cast on a 6 month size in Plum Cevinia Sorrento (purchased on a previous jaunt to Smiley's). It's a keeper.

There are variations (and personal modifications) possible. I cast on initially for the hooded version, then frogged it in favor of the garter stitch collar which I think is a little more practical for tiny babies. If I have enough yarn left, I'll make a little hat.

(There really isn't too much to see is there?)

This pattern offers endless possibilities:

*Hood, or no hood
*Ties or buttons or little clasps
*Pattern in the yoke, pattern at the cuff and hem, intarsia, stranded, or knit/purl textures

It's a blank canvas that I am planning (for the moment) to leave blank.


Anyway, seeing as Smiley's has flat rate shipping (<$10) no matter how much you buy, and a $40 minimum, I shopped around, adding and subtracting from my shopping cart to the tune of $60 +/- forthe better part of a half-hour. I was in yarn heaven. (Of sorts. This is different than Elann.com yarn heaven.) Then it hit me like the proverbial Ton Of Bricks.

Here's some of the sock yarn I bought on 3 previous "charity sprees." It's intended (mostly) for baby garments.

There is a boatload of it! In all colors of the sock yarn rainbow--and then some.

There is yarn, dudes! And it is washable. And suitable for babies. And much warmer (even in its thinness) than any cotton blend.


But, but, but. . .

What about troop knitting?


Um.

Er.

Eep.

Small items (hats, slippers)--small amounts.

Two bushel baskets full.

Oh, so reluctantly, I closed the window.


"But what about the .99 Bumble Bee closeout? Forty-one balls of cottony softness for tiny baby sweaters and longies," I whimpered.

"Self," I said sternly, "you don't even like pink! 'Apple Blossom!' That's about as pink as it gets. Step away from the mouse. And don't look back!"
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random