Sunday, July 23, 2006

Whine For a Sunday

I will be so glad when I get my fair entries finished. In the (in my mind) "compulsaries," I have a lopi cardigan, some lacy socks, a chulo and mitones from Andean Knits and my steeked baby sweater.

Now I'm working on the "freestyle" and this dipsh*t knitting of leetle novelty crap is making me nuts! D@mned knitted top hat for a 15" tall snowman and such.

The fair permits 10 entries in what I consider the "serious" stuff (sweaters, hats, mittens, baby garments) department and pretty much unlimited entries in the "novelty" ( tissue box covers, holiday decor) department.

"Novelty" is where I am right now. Thus the whine about the top hat.

I still need:

"Creative Christmas Wreath-grapevine"--I have the form. I'll wrap it with wired ribbon, create a bow, then cover it with socks and mittens, I think. Or maybe little balls of yarn. Or maybe fruit (grapes, apples, pears), knitted, of course.

"Christmas Tree Ornament-Santa"--I'm thinking a variation on the star ornament in Knitter's Almanac.

"Mr. or Mrs. Snowman-other" --Tiny, please lord, let it be tiny!

Then, I'll start a gansey or another Lopi. Something that doesn't involve any ack! At all.



I am reduced to knitting 7" squares for Ship Support (not that this task isn't important), just to have something that requires thought.

The squares are combined with those of other members of the group into afghans for the Points of Contact (POCs)--the service members willing to accept and distribute handmade "Hugs Froom Home" to their fellow soldiers and sailors.









Oh, and does anyone remember Branching Out?" I was able to put an end to the incessant whimpering. It was all for a good cause. The three pristine balls are on their way to delight someone in need of a pick-me-up. This last one will become a baby hat or booties, probably.




And speaking of booties (or baby socks), the Regia self patterning stuff that I used for mittens makes pretty good socks, too.

Mitten Challenge update: Joan has joined in the fun and offers this pattern for those who like to crochet. She offers this endorsement: "I love making these and they are so warm which is exactly what you want in a mitten." and says that they size up or down just fine!
Comments:
Love the wee socks!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random