Monday, July 31, 2006

One Day Later



The color of the dye liquid has gotten deeper and it's definitely hot sitting in the sun all day. I'm wondering if the full 10 days is necessary (like baking/nuking/steaming Kool-aid dyed wool is) so that the color sets.

I'm also giving passing thought to skeining up another ball and poking it into the jar.

The directions say to stir daily. So stir I did. (And I dipped it out for a little look-see, too.)

It's really pretty!







Kind of a soft yellow. (The color on my monitor is pretty true.)

Note all sorts of VM mixed in with the wool. I am hoping for a blotchy kettle-dyed (think Manos) look.

As more flowers bloom, I'll be adding more petals. Or not.

Did I ever mention that yellow and orange are my favorite colors?

And to answer some questions:

Yes, larjmarj, very much like sun tea. I am hoping that it will be relatively easy to strain out the "stuff," though. And there are directions for dyeing with beets (fresh or canned) here .



dragon knitter asked about washing soda. You can find it in the laundry aisle of most supermarkets. Arm and Hammer is the only brand I've ever seen. (One pound baking soda box shown for perspective.) Look high or low on the shelf. It's a "granny" sort of product--kind of like 20 Mule Team Borax.

It's relatively cheap stuff and nothing beats it for getting the teenage wrestler stink out of gym clothes!

Cream of tartar, the other mordant mentioned in the article, is also found in the supermarket with the spices. It's used to make egg whites beat up stiff. Look for alum in the same aisle. It's used in pickling.


Jane and etoile both asked about the little blue sweater. If I were a real beeyotch, I would just say that I posted the name and a link to the source when I cast on. Instead, I will tell you that it is from Kids to Grown-Ups Seamless Sweaters by Mary Rich Goodwin. I got my copy from Elann. The patterns are all top down. Sizes range from baby-size 1 to adult XXL. All (I think) are made with worsted or DK weight yarns.

And now for something completely different: Is it the heat? The alignment of the planets? Or am I speaking a whole different language? Everyone I've encountered recently seems to be in one seriously pissy mood. Face to face or car to car. No courtesy, no patience. What's up with that?

I should send them all out with a big basket to gather "stuff" for dyeing. That would improve both their moods and mine.

I wonder what color the Rose of Sharon and the Queen Anne's lace blooms will make. . .
Comments:
It's not the heat, it's the humanity. :-)

P.S. Yellow is my favorite color, too.
 
Rose of Sharon? Hmmmm. I have a big-ass bush outside my door. Bloomin' like a you-know-what.

Stuff to consider.

The yellow is looking gorgeous.
 
Thank you Ann,. I was thinking that I would like to make this little sweater for a girl, and for myself too, and therefore I am thinking of changing the stitch a little bit. I am trying out a swatch to night with the Mistake Stitch in Rib. About a year ago there was a pullover in the Knitter's Mag for little ones with that stitch, and it had pictures of boys and girls. So I am trying this out. Thanks very much.
 
Ooh, pretty yellow yarn! I think the sun dyeing technique is very interesting. And thanks for indulging my laziness by posting where the sweater pattern can be found. :-)
 
The yarn is coming out gorgeous! And I like those colors too.

People have been crazy lately. I think it was the heat.
 
Queen Anne's Lace will make a light greenish yellow. I make jelly. You make a brine, same as what you are doing.
Cindy
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random