Sunday, July 30, 2006

Mad Scientist Strikes Again!

I decided to just bite the bullet and use a pattern I already have for the Christmas Tree Ornament, Santa, and selected a really lame one I found in Knitting with Bits and Pieces (House of White Birches (c) 2002).

The picture didn't do much for me and when I had the pieces knit, but not sewn together, I decided that major adjustments were in order.

For example, the feet (boots) were sort of flat and sewn on, while the rest of the body is stuffed and 3-D.




I decided that ol'' Santa needed 3-D feet as well, and a body under that tunic thing wouldn't hurt either, so I picked up some stitches from the underneath side (sort of like adding a pocket, but from the back) and knit the old guy a body, attached the feet to it, gave him some shape,

and, well, here you go:







I had to hang him from one of the last remaining evergreens in the yard.

I'm pleased, even though, technically, he isn't a "right jolly old elf" seein' as how he's got a permanent scowl, and he's thin as a rail.

Both of my single Santas are on the thin side. It's the new healthier look.

Think anyone will buy that?

Me either.





And here's the real "mad scientist" part! I've been "dye"ing to do a little more natural dyeing, but being the cheapskate that I am, I refuse to pay a lot of money for dyepots and such.

I mean, $4 for a smallish, slightly dented enameled pot at the Humane Society Thrift Store? What were those folks sniffing when they priced their stuff? And where can I get me some? [coff]

But I have this great white supewash (only 3 balls, not enough for much of something, but if this works, I'll have some great sh*t to knit)!



I found this site with directions for solar dyeing. I have all the stuff I need:



Marigolds and other yellow flowers (that's yarrow and coreopsis in there with the marigolds) Check!

Big honking glass jar (I knew I was saving this for something) Check!

Alum (left from the sassafras experiment) Check!



So, using my sorta-swift (tm), I skeined up my wool. The directions call for 3/4 gallon of blossoms/petals in a gallon jar to dye 4 oz. of wool.

I have 1) a half-gallon jar and 2) about a pint-and-a-half of petals. I downsized accordingly and skeined off only 1 of the yarn balls (1.75 oz, 50 g) even though I was really, really tempted. I have learned my lesson!




So, after figure-eight tying the skein, I soaked it in hot water with a little dish detergent.

When the water cooled, I changed water, this time dissolving a little alum in it.

It's still soaking.






Meanwhile, out in the yard, I added a little alum (less than a quarter teaspoon) and some washing soda (ditto) to the petals and some warm water, swooshing it all around to dissolve the powders and wet down the VM.

Then, I set it in the sun to steep.

Later today, I will add the scoured wool and fill the jar with hot water.

I have been assured that cutting all the flowers off my marigolds will force more blooms (or kill the plants, I'm nothing if not honest). As more petals become available, I'll add them to the jar, sort of like making that brandied compote stuff that bubbles forever on the counter, fermenting.


The whole process takes 10 days--like I can be patient that long!

Stay tuned.
Comments:
Ten days? Gah. I'm looking forward to the results, but I can't wait more than a couple of hours. Which is why I've got the pots on top of the stove this afternoon.
 
So..it's sort of like sun tea? Interesting. I have been wanting to use beets or beet peels. Would love to see how this turns out. Love the little Santa, it's very ummm...Stepford.
 
that sounds fascinating as hell. i wish i had known about it last summer, when i had marigolds coming out of my ears! did you see my marigold pictures last summer? i could have had enough in one fell swoop! i'm looking forward to the results. if it works well for you, i may have to try it next summer. and where in the world do you get washing soda?
 
can't wait to see the results!
 
Oh this is going to be good. Must you make us wait so long?
 
I like the new improved Santa.

Ten days? Argh. I hate to wait but I can't wait to see how the marigolds (& other stuff) turn out. I love marigolds. Before the jasmine took over the yard, I had a marigold border.

I hope your heat let up! Ours finally did.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random