Saturday, July 29, 2006

Hot Saturday, Cool Knitting

It's hot! It's so hot here in eastern US that things are melting on the sidewalk. And so, how do I amuse myself?

I sit in air conditioned comfort in my jammies bottoms with the polar bears (no pictures!) and knit up wooly little fair entries that look a whole lot like winter!


Here's the latest creation.

This one is of my own design, essentially starting with 8 stitches in the round on dpns,

increasing at the end of each needle every other round (8 stitches increased in the increase round) until there are 40,

then knitting even about that far (4", maybe),

decreasing 8 stitches over 4 rows (*decrease at each end of each needle, knit 1 row even*, twice), (24 stitches)

then increasing 8 stitches the next round, (32 stitches)

knitting another bit (about 3" this time) even,

repeat the decrease twice, (16 stitches) increase once segment (24 stitches)

Knit about another inch or so even, then decrease down to 8 stitches, draw up, fasten off.

* note, you will want to fill lightly with fiber-fil as you go so that when you get to the "draw up, fasten off" part, you aren't sitting there saying "how the f*ck do I stuff this d*mned thing?"

** I used the bottom of a plastic margarine tub to make the bottom flat. Cut into a circle, insert into the very bottom before stuffing.

*** I used faceted black plastic beads to embellish (eyes and buttons). If you are making this as a toy for a small child, leave out the plastic bottom and embroider the eyes and buttons (French knots work well for this).

The body is Red Heart With Wool, washable blend. I think I used size 4 dpns for the body. The scarf and hat are Elann Sock It To Me! sock yarn in variegated crayon colors. I just winged the hat (48 stitch cast on, I think) and lengthwise gartered the scarf on size 1s.


And here, lined up in "size order," are the fair entries so far.

I still need to finish my Santa Ornament (almost done) and decorate a wreath (not even started).

Initially, I was planning to make a bunch of little socks and mittens for the wreath. Indeed, I have cast on one sock. hmmm. The plan was that I'd make them in pairs in Christmas colors with stripes, checks, perhaps snowflakes, then, after the fair, I'd disassemble and donate the socks.

Now I am thinking flock-o-sheep with one black one, of course, or nativity scene (if I can find my copy of the Knitted Creche) kind of snuggled at the "bottom" of the wreath.

Heck, I still have 3 weeks. :eep:
Comments:
Topless knitting, dude?
 
I said "no pictures"
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random