Sunday, June 11, 2006

Mitten Challenge!

The Other Half and I were talking about mittens yesterday (really, we were).

He comes from a big family (#6 of nine children). And lived "up north" (Pennsylvania). I, on the other hand, was an "only" and lived in the Deep South (Alabama) as a child. This "mitten moment" is his.

1) Kids who live in Snow Country hate, hate, HATE wool mittens. Snow sticks to them. OTOH, wet wool stays warm. USE WOOL (or a wool blend) if you can.

2) You know those cute mittens with the buttons and beads sewn on? They scratch your nose when you use your mitten as a handkerchief. Don't saw "ewww!" You did it, admit it!

3) If you are part of a big family, you want to be "first out the door" in cold weather (or any weather). First kid out the door is always best dressed. Last kid out the door often has mis-matched mittens, those nasty brown cotton work gloves (which the Other Half assures me are totally useless in cold weather, and his father bought by the case), or (worst of all) socks! on his hands.

The charity group I help moderate strives to provide warm things for the kids at Cheyenne River (Lakota Sioux) Reservation in South Dakota (you think Pennsylvania's cold!) . We've just started a challenge that I proposed!

Mittens! Warm, wooly, what-could-make-your-heart-sing-more, mittens.

My fearless readers are invited to participate along with the group! (They're also invited to join the group, but that isn't necessary to participate in the challenge. )

Here's the challenge: Between now and October 1, make (knit, crochet, sew from fleece or felted sweaters, 6 pairs of mittens. That's 1 mitten (not pair) a week with time off every 4 mittens for good behavior.

Mittens can be plain or fancy, wool (preferred) or not, any color, any style. They need to fit kids ages 0-18.

Mail them to me (email me at amcmanus@ptd.net for the mailing address) in time for me to mail them on to the reservation by the first week in October.

Anyone who sends 6 pairs (or more) that I receive by October 1, will be included in a drawing for a nice prize.



To get you started, here's my current favorite pattern.

They are knitted side to side in garter stitch.

This one is some acrylic baby weight knitted up on size 2 needles. They are red. Red does not photograph well!

Really, I was just testing out the pattern (got the fair on my mind).






Here's how it looks folded, but not seamed.

I figure that fingering weight will get me a nice pair fit for a toddler (say around 2). That's when they start needing thumbs free, isn't it?

These go very fast.

And they are a great way to use up odd bits of stuff. (See previous entry on how to divide a ball of yarn in 2.)










I've made bunches since I started on Friday.

The little blotchy ones are Emu superwash, left over from sock knitting. I used a size 3 needle. They are pretty much the same size as the red ack ones.

Then, I started a pair of "color block" ones with my odd ball Kool Wool.

I think I will devote tonight to finishing.






Penny is unimpressed. Cats don't wear mittens.











And in Other news:


It's been a while since the ceiling was painted.

Yes, we are replacing the dead ceiling fan.
Comments:
I'm in. I promise ONE pair of mittens, not eight, but I'm in.
 
I have a two needle mitten pattern that I love to make. Between May and November of 2004, I made 30 pairs of these mittens for a charity my dd was involved with so I should be able to make 6 pairs for you by Oct. 1.
 
I'll bite.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random