Saturday, June 24, 2006

How Cute Is That?


I made incredible progress on the Hokey Pokey Dress this week. Had a good long sit down opportunity with the (mindless stockinette) skirt on Thursday and a great session Friday night and this morning with the bodice.

The skirt part is essentially a tube then there's a dramatic (1/3) decrease at the underarm and an eyeletround that's intended to encase a ribbon (I don't think so--see my commentary in previous editions regarding poms and such). The bodice is further pulled in by a sorta-rib (rib on the WS, knit across on the RS--I know this stitch has a name, but I'm too lazy to look it up.



This is the hem. It's called Triangle Lace, and I guess since there are yarn overs, it is technically a lace pattern.

So here's the deal.

This piece has no intended recipient. It will doubtless become a "community" (thank you, Carol Anderson, for that term) piece as there are no little girls this size in my circle at the moment. But for now, it's a fair entry (#10, FSM be praised!)--"Children, Knit, Dress."




So, I am seeking your opinions, Gentle Readers.

Here's how it looks right now. Obviously unfinished. The pattern calls for long straight sleeves. I'm thinking that it has the look of a pinafore (think little turtle neck sweater or pretty white blouse with a round collar underneath).

What if, instead of long sleeves, I do little short row cap sleeves and finish them off with a lace edge like the one at the hem, or even a ruffle just on the top at the shoulder?

Of course, then it becomes more of an "over dress" rather than a complete "outfit" for a community child.




Here's a photo of the original.

It's in cotton. Mine is ack. It's not especially soft (though a little softener/hair conditioner might help that).

The ribbon's gotta go, though.

Opinions?
Comments:
Coupled with a white blouse or turtleneck, seems to me it would make a GREAT gift for some little girl on the reservation!

Beth :-)
 
Ann, It looks great. From experience as mother of 2 girls, I also have 2 boys) I love it as a Jumper. Yes, a little ruffle would be very cute on the shoulders. The ribbon is dangerous and the babies pull it out anyways. So I would make a twisted cord with the same yarn, and add maybe two or three strands of elastic thread in the cord before you twist it, and that would it give it the shape it needs.Also, the end of the cord you make fancy with pulling out the yarn in a fringy type thingy .
File it through the holes and make a small tight little bow with the ends
The other thing I wanted to say, if this is going to be a pretty warm garment for baby.I would use a turtleneck under it. As a jumper, the usage of this garment is absolutly doubled. The occasion is not often requiring a dress, but a jumper is so practical, you can dress it up or down. Very nice work, Ann, as always, let me know what you decide. Rita
 
I think for winter I'd add the sleeves and for summer a cotton version would be adorable with the ruffled, lacy cap sleeves. Whichever you choose will be appreciated by the mommy of the lucky girl.
 
It's waaaay cute as a jumper. I assumed it *was* a jumper until I read further. Just the little lace cap sleeves needed and it will be perfect.
 
Another vote for cap sleeves and the jumper. One of my girls was always cold (so a turtleneck would be great) and another one was always too warm (so, a t-shirt). I'd say nix to the fringy things though; maybe just i-cord in a harmonizing/contrast color, threaded through loosely, and sewn together firmly. Or, if you want it to be very girly, a widish satin ribbon which ties in a bow, AT THE BACK.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random