Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Summer Song



In the spring/summer, Sparky does what Sparkys do best. That is, she lolls in the grass in the spring-into-summer sun.

Right now, she's confined to the front yard.

You see, there's a baby bird. In the back.

She found it yesterday while I was (finally) planting my Mother's Day impatiens. (One more day, and I fear I'd have been burying rather than planting them!)

The baby bird's not all that little. S/he has real feathers. Not just downy fluff. And at least two sets of worried parental birds hovering and diving at any/everthing that threatens Baby Bird.

So Sparky will have to be a Front Yard Cat for a couple more days.



Sparky, being Sparky, can't be trusted alone in the front. There's the street, you see.

So I spent my late afternoon yesterday pulling weeds and cutting back dead ornamental grasses to make way for this summer's new growth.

And I discovered this surprise. Dutch Iris that I don't remember planting (at least not in this spot).

I think I might be acquiring a new favorite flower!








And the big rhododendrons by the front door are in full bloom.

I sure do love this color!








And the tiny coral bells are making a brief appearance at the House of Sheep.

These are pretty much the sole survivors of one of those "full garden" for $19.95 offers that you see on the back of Parade Magazine.

But they've survived for several years.

I really should go out front more often!


Knitting, you say? Well, I finished off two pairs of slippers. I have not even touched Branching Out or Diamond Patch. I've plotted two or three fair entries and plan to start them soon.

But the really big news is: Garage Sale looms on the horizon. We have some big ticket (furniture) items that I'd love out of here, so I am sorting through walls o' crap to gather all the small bits. Target date: June 3.
Comments:
Pretty flowers! Hez likes me to sit out front (or back) with her, but so far I've just tsk'ed at the overgrowth of the jasmine. I did pull the weeds and clean out the geraniums though. They were blocking my view.

Poor Sparky. She just wants to learn how baby birds are put together.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random