Monday, May 29, 2006

Painful

Last night around 11, the Other Half asked me, "Is that the same sock you were working on this morning?"

Um, yes it is!

Second Sock Syndrome, here I come. Why? Because this one was very, very painful!

Short-row heel (with strange yo directions instead of srw) and a short-row toe to boot, then some sort of strange grafting (zig-zag bind off) that makes me think this little sock may well be an orphan!

But it's so cute. . .


And so is this one. Another strangely constructed sock. Thicker needles for the cuff [wtf?] make me suspect that this one's gonna be hard to keep on a kicking baby.

I'm still not crazy about how the pooling plays out with this yarn, but these look a whole lot better than the adult size socks I frogged from this yarn. Then I tried making a baby sweater--That was a royal bomb! (see November 18, 2005, entry for a look at the ghastly sweater, and on December 31, 2004, you can see a picture of the partially completed second sock that I frogged to start the sweater).

I have 2+ (okay, nearly 3-baby socks take next-to-no yarn) skeins of this stuff left. I'm thinking that I might try mittens (thumbless mitts?) and a little hat, and maybe a pair of gloves. . .

There's a lot of it left. I have the same yarn in a darker colorway (green,blue, purple) that might become a pair of socks for me.

Of course, there's a lot of sock yarn in my stash. I switched over from baby ack to sock yarn for making baby things a while back. I've stashed a bunch of perfect-for-baby-sweaters sock yarns (let's not say exactly how much, okay?) and should get started. . .

Knit Tip:

I keep track of "rows knit" or "decreases made" (to avoid a lot of repetitive counting) by counting out markers (in this case, buttons) of the number of X needed (in this case 12 rows knit even). As I complete (or start) each X, I move a button from one pile to the other.

This is especially useful when the stitches are tiny and the yarn is dark and the lighting is less than bright.

As long as I don't forget which pile is which, it works like a charm.

I've finished 7 rounds and have 5 more to go before I start the toe decreases.
Comments:
darling, darling socks. i seem to be doing pretty good about SSS. i've got sock #2 almost done. however, i need another pair in this yarn, and i just may skewer myself in the karotid over this nasty splitty baby ack (at least it's soft)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random