Saturday, May 20, 2006

The More Things Change

the more they stay the same!

This was never more evident than when I read a letter in one of the magazines I picked up for a song at a recent "Friends of the Library" sale.

This is from a 1976 issue of Mon Tricot:

"What I used to enjoy was the unusual pattern, the intricate design, the difficult garment. Your new magazine stresses the simple design, the basic stitch, with your major emphasis on the beginning knitter. . .

". . .there is an article on the garter stitch :rest of whining rant snipped:"


And the reply, which will be familiar to readers of current magazines is, ":snippage: A well-worked garter stitch is not as easily done as one would think. . .:more condescending drivel snipped:"

So, what goes around, comes around!



We missed the first several days of the sale, so I was pretty bummed out and not expecting to find anything I wanted.

We got there for 5-buck-a-bag day and I was pleasantly surprised.

In addition to a couple of novels and a techie manual that the Other Half wanted, I filled my bag with all of these!

Now, granted, they smell a bit musty, and most of the styles are very dated, for five bucks I figure I got my money's worth--and then some!




There are a good many interesting "styles" that will never grace my needles.

This bat-wing dolman sweater is just one of them, though I do like the diagonal cable, so I won't totally write it off.

And the multidirectional knitting is kind of interesting, too.

Maybe I'll move this one from the not-on-your-life pile to the it-might-have-possibilities pile.










This one shows promise, though.

I'm beginning to appreciate cardigans more and more. They make great substitute jackets, they can be thrown over the shoulders, they don't muss my coif when I take them off or put them on (not that this is much of an issue, but still. . .)

It's light weight, has some interesting texture, and those loveable buttons.

Sadly, any that I make are going to take some math and engineering. Women were a lot smaller and knitwear was a lot snugger back in the 60s and 70s!





This was my real prize:



Published in 1958, and reprinted several times, I don't believe that Mrs. Harley S. Frantz (the original owner) ever cracked the spine. (I would not be displeased to find her notes inside, but I am not holding my breath. It's in like-new condition.)

Much of it is devoted to sewing and embroidery. The knitting section is small and so very dated that it makes the magazines up above look modern and up-to-date.

There is, however, a nice stitch dictionary of about 60 or so patterns.







The big draw for me (and the reason I stuffed it in my bulging grocery bag) was the great chapters on lace in all its forms.

I have long wanted to attempt tatting (I have the needles and the "how-to" booklet). There are some well-drawn diagrams.

Also sections on bobbin lace, drawn thread work, Tenriffe, Renaissance, Venetian, and crocheted lace(s).

Good stuff!





And on another note: Last night at the grocery store, I grabbed an "empty" cart (actually, it was full of trash) to start loading my self-packed groceries (the Other Half was still scanning from our shopping cart--yes, we use the self-serve line, it's faster!).

There were several empty plastic produce bags, a lot of the week's circular, etc. (including a dirty sports bottle). I scooped it all up and deposited it in the trash can, then loaded my bags into the cart. (Do I need to mention that the cart had essentially been abandoned in the middle of the check-out line by the last person to use it?)

All loaded, ready to go, here comes a youngish guy (I recognized him as the one who had the two ill-mannered boys with him and was in line ahead of us. When I say ill-mannered, the one kid was bouncing a ball all through the store. 'nuff said.)

Apparently, one of the kids had lost his sports bottle. Tempted though I was to keep quiet, I told him that I had scooped it into the trash can "right there" :pointing: He shot me a dirty look (which made me rethink my decision to tell him).

Okay, the next part you are not going to believe. Or maybe you will.

The assgoblin dumped the can on the floor, fished the bottle out of the trash, and left.

Yes, you read that correctly. Left. With all the trash spread out on the floor.

Assgoblin!
Comments:
Garter stitch is evil. In fact, there's a lot of evil in knitting. Mohair, lace, garter stitch.......hmmm.

So funny about that magazine article! Some things never change.

I love the old mags, I've got some old issues of Spinneren (and something else) I picked up on the coast - one of them has Marj Dusay as a young model. (From the soaps - Alexandra Spaulding on ATWT and Leo's mommy on AMC)

Assgoblin barely begins to define that. Unreal.
 
I'm speechless.

Nice haul on the mags, though!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random