Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Car Knitting



I don't consider myself to be an especially fast knitter (constant, yes, fast, not so) so I am pretty sure that my regular readers will be somewhat surprised to discover that I finished this (except for the garter stitch cuff and the seams) in the car yesterday.

And I was the driver!

I have never in my life been so happy to have a mindless car project with me. Usually I reserve my car knitting to times when I am the passenger.

I left work at 1 for an afternoon drive from where I work to the state capital (85 miles, 89 driving minutes) for a 3 p.m. workshop.

About 20 minutes into the trip, I saw signs warning of stopped traffic. Okay, I thought. Stopped for construction, surely only a little stop.

Two freakin' hours later, I was on my way again!

Needless to say, I was way late for my workshop.

They are replacing the concrete median barriers (honkin' great slabs of cement) by breaking them apart, then lifting the chunks and depositing them by the other side of the road.

They couldn't do this at night!?

Oh, it's a slipper. For Ship Support. Great big secret. There are a lot of men and women getting hurt in The War. Wounded or injured servicepeople needing more attention than is available at the battle site are transported out of the Sandbox (usually first to Germany) . Slippers (and hats) help keep their body temperatures stable and let them know that someone cares.


This helped make up for the awful day.

I had a package from Overstock.com! They have lots of books! Lots! And they are cheap, er, inexpensive. And the shipping is only $1.40 per.

These two are opposite ends of the spectrum. Morehouse has lots of stuff to read and some good, basic patterns. Comfort food. Meatloaf and mashed potatoes and geen beans.

There is nothing "basic" about Knitting Out of Africa. I suspect I'm about to have a magical mystery tour. Curry, Thai beef, and a little Basmati rice, anyone?
Comments:
It's a secret that there are wounded in the war? Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah, it's not exactly broadcasted. I can't believe how that was bungled. I actually bought the reasons to go to war, and I can't say that I didn't think it was necessary, but geez. Could it have been handled any worse?

And that two hour wait is exactly why one must always carry a project (and in my case, a book).
 
These slipperboots came out really great, Ann,the soldiers are lucky to have you knit for them.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random