Monday, May 08, 2006

And So, We Begin



This is actually a new picture of the yarn bin. Someone here said that you couldn't have too many pictures of yarn. I'm testing that theory.

I've decided how I will proceed. I'll work lightest to darkest color, knitting rounds from one complete ball before switching colors. What this means, of course, is that the concentric rings will get narrower as they get further from the center.

I plan to toss in garter (purl) rounds as the spirit moves me and some yarn overs, perhaps as the increases.





So, let's begin.

On an appropriate size double pointed needle, cast on 8 stitches.

There really are 8 stitches there.





Divide the stitches equally onto 4 needles (the cast on needle, plus three more.

By now, you should have figured out that you will need a set of 5 for the beginning.






Join the stitches into a ring, being careful not to twist and knit one round.

You'll have to trust me on this. This round is the hardest one in the whole blankie.

Piece of cake, you say? Then you know that the rest will be easy, too.





I really like doing blankets and squares from the center out. The reasons are simple. I can control the finished size in a way that is damned near impossible any other way. Even with a gauge swatch! I just keep adding rounds until it's the size I want.

It's a great way to use up odd balls, too. Just keep adding rounds until there's no more yarn left to add!

Someone asked about making an adult blankie. I'd keep adding rounds until it's as big as it needs to be. A 48" square or bigger (60", anyone?) makes a nice cuddle up blankie for watching television or reading a book. A 6' blankie (72" square) would be pure luxury. Let's not even think about an 84" square. (Remember that scene from When Harry Met Sally? Yeh, that one!)
Comments:
I have once, just once managed to not twist that beginning the first time.

No such thing as too many yarn pictures. Or too much yarn.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random