Monday, August 15, 2005

Angels in the Outfield

I was torn between just making any-angel as a Holiday Tree Ornament, Knitted or Crocheted. I have patterns for several very cute ones, saved over the years.

But I was intrigued by the angels in Knitters, starting with the Winter 1997 issue (there were several versions, offered over the course of more than a year, each with its own craft). The first 2 were knitters. There was a spinner, an embroiderer and representatives of other fiber arts as well. All of them came with lovely lace skirts.

So I decided to take the plunge! All I had to lose was a couple of days' effort if things didn't go the way I expected. I could still make a tiny knitted angel from the Jean Greenhowe book. After all, the Santa took next to no time!

So I knitted up the pieces in some Knit Cro-sheen that I purchased years ago (can't remember why) in white with a silver thread. (I have 2 balls of the same thread in the gold colorway. Not.a.Packrat.)

Really bad photo of angel parts

Then I mixed up some starch. The directions called for a tablespoon of cornstarch, dissolved in a tablespoon of cold water, to which you add BOILING water to make 1/2 cup. You are then instructed to nuke (or cook on a stove) until the mixture turns thick and translucent. Here's the thing. The second boiling water hit cold cornstarch solution, I got:

thick, translucent glop

into which I dipped, squeezed, and drained angel-parts (see photo above), then shaped and flattened them (as appropriate) to dry:










Tonight, I struggled to meld the parts into the whole. (It's hard to stitch stiff- angel-parts together!)


But, Voila!





All that remains is to sew 7 buttons onto my freshly blocked sweater and I am done, done, done! And I still have over a week until turn-in day!

.
Comments:
Well done!

I still vote for the gnometree, though, if this is a democracy.
 
There.will.be.no.more.of.these.

Thus it was written.

Gnomes, yes, indeedy do!

Angels, nyet!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random