Saturday, April 02, 2005

Play It Again, Sam

Frogging the equivalent of 12 ounces of yarn is not a task I undertake lightly, but today, it's exactly what I did.

The blankie that I was Bonding, using the "sew as you go" method of joining strips was looking pretty sad. Both joins were sloppy. (I tried two different methods.) And I was quite dissatisfied. Charity knitting should, in my not so humble opinion, be every bit as carefully done as knitting for friends and family, or as I have been heard to utter: "good enough to give to the pickiest in-law."

This wasn't!



And, as I discovered when I started the raveling process, it wasn't put together all that well. Either I blew the instructions, or the method sucks. Doesn't matter which, I'm glad I rethought the original. Cute as the idea (big colorblock squares) was, the fact is, it practically fell apart in my hands!

Picture a blanket, given to a child whose parent doesn't knit or crochet. Now picture same blanket as woobie, two years down the road, coming apart at every seam. Not a pretty picture, is it?

So I started over using the same yarn, in a pattern that doesn't come apart easily, a giant garter stitch mitered square:




I might add a border after I finish. Or I might leave it "just so."

And on another note, it's raining again! With flooding predicted. And we have some vacation scheduled.

April vacation has taken us to the shore in search of warmth and sunshine for the past several years.

The first year, we went to Cape May. It rained the whole time and the wind blew constantly. At about 30 miles an hour. Nothing was open for the season yet. The temperature never went above 45.

Then we tried heading further south to Rehobeth Beach. That year, we arrived a little early to check in. It was warm and sunny. We were wearing shorts. We parked the car near the hotel and walked over to the business district. I swear that we had not gone a block when a wind kicked up, the temperature dropped, and it started snowing! And it stayed cold the entire time we were there!

So this year, we are heading even further south to Virgnia Beach. Do I think it will snow? No. This year, we get torrential rain, high tides and flooding.

The Other Half speculated that if we head west next year, we will probably bring on plague and pestilence.

The Kid is staying home to mind the animals. I think he may be getting the better deal.
Comments:
I love you dearly but please do not come visit next spring.

Okthanks.
 
Chambers of Commerce all over the East Coast are saying the same thing. I wonder if they would pay us to stay home!

We were thinking maybe West Virginia. Who would notice a disaster there? (FWIW, we lived there for 5 years. I know of which I speak!)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random