Saturday, April 23, 2005

Bad Timing

I promised I'd tell about my week, though I'm not sure I want to relive it.

Let me start by saying that I did my first once-a-year volunteer shift at the soup kitchen this week. How incredibly uplifting and depressing, and what a conflict of emotions! Happy that people are getting fed. Sad that they need to be fed. Let me be clear. Many of the folks in that line are "working stiffs." It was very obvious. The ones that skipped the "main event," settling for a cup of coffee and a roll because "I only get 30 minutes for lunch," and the line was ever so long (easily 50% longer than last March, my last turn). People who are working. Little kids. Old people. People with obvious (and not so obvious)impairments. They shouldn't have to do this! But I am really grateful that there are people and organizations that make it so they can. Am I clear?

Sad.

And I go back next Wednesday.

I consider it my annual "booster shot" of compassion. Running a regional food bank, I work on the fringes all year long. I move food toward the people that need it, but don't usually see them.

Then, there was Friday (the rest of the week was pretty much a blur!). I was on my way home, less than 2 miles from the house, in fact, when I witnessed what may or may not (I'm thinkin' not) have been an accident. A kid on bike went ass over head over the handlebars on the sidewalk ahead and slightly to the left of my range of vision. NO ONE but me stopped! I don't think he was hit by a car. I think he hit the curb or the broken up sidewalk with his bike but, Damn! What's wrong with people?

He was yelling and limping and bleeding but he ran for home (partway up the block) and left the bike on the sidewalk. Not a little kid. Like maybe 14. I guess I'll just have to take his word for it that he wasn't "hurt."

This is the second time that's happened to me in the same area (1st time was a little kid on a "Big Wheel" that shot out of an alley and ran head-on into my driver's side door!). I'm really thinking that it's time for some basic safety classes in the schools around here.

So, the weekend is finally here and the weather is a bit pissy. Errands to run. Laundry to do. Book sale in one of the towns on my regular errand route. It's going to be a good day!

In a fit of stashbusting, I've cast on (3 times) with this pink Bernat Breeze (the last of it! It's been 2 ponchos and 2 baby blankets and I still have 2 skeins left! I think it's breeding.. I'll just keep on picking up and knitting until I run out. If it's big enough, it'll be a baby blanket. If it isn't, it'll be a cage cozy.



This stuff really is nasty to work with. It splits and sticks and just doesn't look nice at all. A person with less packrat tendencies would have thrown it away by now!
Comments:
actually it looks pretty and fluffy
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random