Friday, March 18, 2005

Cookie's Fortune

This was just going to be an update on my current boring projects, and I promise that there will be pictures at the end, but please allow me a small rant. Hell, make it a big one!

You may have missed the story, if, like me, you were so appalled by the emphasis on one family's personal and private tragedy that has played out in the Florida legislature and the halls of Congress and has been the news story on every channel for the past several days.

Tonight, ABC News aired a story on the health implications of (are you sitting down?) Girl Scout Cookies . It seems that these suckers (the ones that cost about 4 bucks for all of about eight lousy cookies ) are making Americans fat! Not all the fast food we consume, not our lack of exercise, not our lifestyles. Girl Scout Cookies!! Give me a break!

The "experts" went so far as to suggest that the Girl Scouts should consider selling something "healthy" to support their programs and camping. Something like, oh, maybe key chains. Yep, that would get them a lot of repeat business!

But enough ranting. I haven't bought Girl Scout Cookies in at least 3 years. Of course, that doesn't stop the Other Half from buying them. And he's pissed off enough about this story to go out and buy a case!

And, as promised. Boring pictures of my current boring projects:

the knitalong cardi. I have used 2.5 balls of the 9 I had to start, and still haven't decided what to do about finishing bands, though I am now leaning toward an i-cord and one button or seed stitch and several.

And



the denim Henley tunic. I have reached the point where I will divide front and back and garter stitch the bottom border. I still must knit half of each sleeve. Using my kitchen scale, I figure that I have used about 21 ounces of the 33 3/4 that I started with. I still need to consider that the yarn shrinks in length, so I may just make the body a tad longer before I start the border, and make the sleeves with a deep ribbing at the cuffs.

Here's how much yarn I still have:

(blue cone on the right was exactly the same size as the purple one on the left when I started).
Comments:
I like that cardie. In fact ... well ... I need to make myself one at some point and that one looks like it might not kill me. Where can I buy the pattern?
 
I believe I bought the pattern at Elann (where else?). It's Knitting Pure and Simple #994 (V-neck Neckdown Cardigan for Women--Aran weiight). There's a crew neck cardi that uses chunky weight (9725).

I'm making mine in the "old-style" Woolease that was aging in my stash. It's actually Worsted Weight, but I'm getting gauge.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random