Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Bad Day at Black Rock

It has not been a good day.

It freakin' snowed again! And got really cold. And windy.

I finally decided that tonight was to be the night I would pick up the cotton Aran vest and finish the damned thing once and for all. After all, I had the back done. The shoulder saddles were complete. I had even picked up the stitches for the two front panels.

In other words, I was more than half done.

This vest has given me fits since I picked up

a few years ago, found the right yarn (Bernat Club Soft, a cotton blend), lost several balls of the yarn (they'll turn up as soon as I weave in the last end), put a plaintive cry for help to Knitlist, located another bag of the stuff (for which I happily offered double, plus postage, the price I paid for the original balls). And then it languished. For two (or maybe three) years. Still with me?

Take a look. Isn't it purty? I even have a special button.



So, okay, I dragged the half-vest out from under the futon, gathered up the yarn, found the right size needles, and plopped the whole mess into my "active WIPs bin" (a green plastic washtub from the Dollar Tree).

I knitted the set-up row. I knitted row 2. So far, so good. Row 3 is where the cable twists start. I reached across the sofa arm to grab my little tool basket wherein is nestled one (of about 6) of my cable needles, catching the edge of the half-full can of diet vanilla Coke with the sleeve of my bathrobe and tipping all 6 remaining ounces onto the floor-and-into-my-bin.

Oh, NO!

Missed the cream colored cotton blend. Missed the light blue denim. Missed the KAL cardigan. Missed the variegated sock yarn.

Did not miss two pattern booklets. Or the KAL pattern. Or a 1/4 skein of ickrylic (threw that puppy away) or a skein of pale blue Kroy sock yarn that was destined for great things.

Spent the next 30 minutes rescuing patterns, needles, and yarn, and clearing out the bin. Found the Prym crochet hook that I use for dropped stitches, and a whole bunch of DPNs that have been MIA for months.

I think the day was a wash.

I hope the diet Coke stains in the pale blue Kroy are as well.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random