Tuesday, February 01, 2005

The Final Test

Today was a long and very draining, emotional day.

We drove to the site of the funeral, peaking too early (as is our habit), which made the day even longer than it needed to be. The kids were tapped to be pall bearers, squeezing out the guys that the funeral director had recruited from the bar down the street. I doubt that they were upset to miss standing around in the cold. But that meant that we had to go to the grave site.

I was surprised at the number of people who came to pay their respects. It would seem that she had made friends late in life. That's a good thing. Hearing the celebrant praise her love of people made me wonder if I had fallen into the wrong service.

The grandson (who is a couple years older than my kids) was poised and eloquent. He said the right things very well.

Knit Content: I neglected to take my knitting along. (For the drive! Even I wouldn't knit during a funeral!) Late in the day, I did manage half a pattern repeat on the alien scarf, and a bit more on the other scarf, but that was about it.

I know I've had a bad day when I can't pick up the needles and wool.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random