Thursday, December 30, 2004

Countdown

No, this isn't the "100 Things" post. It's way more than that.

I am anal. I keep track. Of things I knit (in a small journal from the Dollar Tree, with a pencil or pen). Of yarn I own (in a spreadsheet--by name, rank (type) and serial number (yes, dyelot!) and how much I have). And yarn I used this year (transfered to a speadsheet from the journal).



Here are the statistics:

My stash consists of 559 countable balls/skeins/hanks, weighing 88.4 pounds and measuring 53.7 miles! WOW! That's about 1/2 mile less than in October when I last added it up, but nearly 40% more than when I started keeping track 4 years ago.

I figure that I have about a 2 year supply on hand, assuming I don't add to it (right, wanna buy a bridge?).

Here's what I used this year:

53.3 pounds and 27 miles!

I made 147 separate items. Some used as little as .5 ounce and 50 yards (or less). My smallest project(s) was that army of teddy sweaters and catnip mice. The biggest (and most tedious as well) was an afghan in Lion Brand homespun.

I used everything from fingering/sock weight (for baby items and an actual pair of socks) to bulky (lopi sweaters and slippers). I used a lot of acrylic for charity knitting, but have moved blithely into washable wools for that endeavor, because they are so much warmer and so much kinder to my hands. I used singles and multi-ply, smooth and nubby. I do not play favorites!

My needle stash was well used this year. I favor circulars (even for flat knitting) and double points. But I gave my very small gauge straights some use, too (on the mice).

Okay, what you've read this far to see (drumroll, please):

4 adult sweaters
1 pair of socks
27 adult hats
6 scarves (only 1 "foofy," and that, at least, was a keyhole one)
27 pairs of slippers
9 preemie/newborn caps
3 afghans
18 baby sweaters
5 laprobes/baby afghans
3 pairs of booties
1 shawl
1 dishcloth
1 pair of mittens
1 Christmas stocking
2 afghan squares
29 toys (including cat toys, bear sweaters, and dolls)
4 ponchos
2 felted purses
9 cat mats
3 felted cat beds

and the finishing on 3 afghans (squares made by other people)

Aren't you impressed (that I did it, or that I kept such meticulous records)?










Comments:
*boggles*

re-reads list

*boggles* again
 
Mice: 30 minutes. Bear sweaters: couple hours.

The rest, days and days.

The one pair of socks were on the needles for 2 freekin' YEARS!

A, not shouting
 
Mice would take me two hours.

You now understand my boggling. Or not.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Previous | Next | Random